18th Century Developments

18th Century Developments

Digges Lane, which is the easter border of our hotel, was originally known as Beaux Lane, then Goat Lane, before its name was changed to honour a forbear of the Dublin Member of Parliament- Digges La Touche- in the 18th Century.

18th Century Dublin

During the 18th Century the area encompassing Digges Lane, Bow Lane and Mercer St had a very unsavoury reputation – the name Bow Lane being derived from “Beaux Walk”, an area favoured by gentlemen of the time, not unlike the red light district in Paris. In 1728, Mercer Street (site of one of Dublin’s first hospitals) was known as Love Lane, and changed names multiple times before settling on Mercer Street in an attempt to shake this seedy reputation.

Stephen’s Street on the other hand was known as a general trading street, winding from Golden Lane (which guests might recognise if they walk from our property to St. Patrick’s Cathedral) to Mercer Street. The name Stephen’s Street comes from the old church of St. Stephen’s, which was designed by John Bowden and completed after his death by Joseph Welland for the grand sum of £5,169.

Stephen's Church

A site bounded by Exchequer Street, Fade Street and Drury Street was known as the Castlemarket. A new Castlemarket was opened in 1783, with butchers and slaughterhouses, which extended to South William Street- Castlemarket Street is still a hub of activity today, with a number of great Dublin restaurants and pubs lining its pedestrianised street.

A well-known Dublin family, the Pims, were the chief instigators of the South City Markets, the remains of which can be seen in the gorgeous redbrick buildings connecting Drury Street and George’s Street. The original markets were almost entirely destroyed in 1892 but were since rebuilt, and definitely add to the character of Dublin’s Creative Quarter today.

George's Street

Scroll Down
We're Hiring! 10