The History of Drury Court & Its Area
As one of the few remaining independent hotels in Dublin’s city centre, our history is a source of great pride to the team here. Whilst the Drury Court Hotel has been in operation for 25 years, the area we are located in dates back much further than this, and has been witness to a number of exciting eras in Dublin’s history.
During Dublin’s medieval history, between c.840 and 1540, the area that is now home to the Drury Court Hotel was mainly populated by religious buildings. One exception to the exclusively religious settlements was the Mercer Hospital, which was originally established as a leper hospital in the 14th Century: the façade’s design, which many of our guests will walk by during their stay, is still reminiscent of this original usage.
However, during this time, Dublin was naturally not anywhere as developed as it is in present times- mainly because a lot of today’s city was underwater! Dublin gets its name from the Gaelic Dubh Linn, translated to English as Black Pool, as the Pool was a dominant feature in the heart of the city. The original Viking settlers used the Pool to moor their boats, and thereby had a direct connection to the river Liffey via the tributary of the smaller River Poddle (down by Dublin Castle).
Both the Dubh Linn and the Poddle were eventually covered over and built upon in the 1700s, which is when Dublin really developed into something more akin to the bustling metropolis visible today, and it is from this point that the Digges Lane and Stephen Street area really came to life, as will be seen below: