Kilmainham jail was once referred to as the County of Dublin Gaol and was built in 1796. The jail was originally run by the Grand Jury for County Dublin, and its sole purpose (as with any other prison) was to hold criminals. However, during the rebellions against the British rule the nature of the prison altered drastically, as many of the leaders of the rebellions, if caught, were imprisoned in the jail and often killed by firing squad. For this reason, Kilmainham Gaol has become a real symbol of the struggles that took place against the occupying forces during this period of history. The doors were shut on the prison in 1924, but it has recently been opened as an important historical attraction, giving visitors a fantastic insight into the events of the time. It is certainly one of the most informative and eye-opening tours available in Dublin, and can be easily reached by bus from the Drury Court Hotel.