National Concert Hall
Home of Ireland’s National Symphony Orchestra
The site of what is now Ireland’s National Concert Hall was first developed on Earlsfort Terrace as the Exhibition Palace for the 1865 International Exhibition of Arts and Manufactures, a world fair attended by almost 1 million visitors. In 1882 the Palace was dismantled and sold. The site became the home of the Royal University of Ireland which occupied the site until 1903 when The Irish Universities Act 1908 brought the establishment of University College Dublin (UCD). While occupied by UCD, the Earsfort Terrace building was the stage for many significant events surrounding the War of Independence.
In 1981 An Ceoláras Náisiúnta (The National Concert Hall) was officially opened. Since then, the NCH has played host to artists from all over the world, featuring music of every genre. The main auditorium seats 1,200 but the venue also has several smaller rooms for more intimate recitals. It hosts over 1,000 events each year and is home to the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra as well as several other groups.
The NCH is a mere 15 minutes from the Drury Court Hotel by foot or public transport, and is located conveniently close to several bars, restaurants, and coffee shops. It also backs directly on to the Iveagh Gardens, a beautiful little park which is a perfect spot for a peaceful break from the surrounding city.